Friday, October 31, 2008

Kudos

Piggy backing off of what Ranty posted the other day, I just can't agree more that the people around here are amazing.  I think part of it is the immediate common bond that we are all trying to make our part of the world a better place.  And we have so much to work with - houses built of old growth lumber, gleaming leaded glass, hardwood floors, quarried limestone foundations, period fireplaces, etc.  Not to mention a centralized location, close proximity to parks, restaurants, the Greenway, etc.   As Ranty tipped her hat at me in her last post, I felt I should pay forward a similar compliment.   There are two neighbors in particular who have boundless energy that they have invested in making not only their Park Avenue home a better place, but have worked to make the entire neighborhood a better place as well.  In addition to their work with CANDO, they also organized a historic walking tour of Park Ave and worked to bring the Chicago Avenue Fire Arts Center to 38th and Chicago.   I just had to pass on a quote from a correspondence with one of these guys who I always find to have a gift with words.  In correspondence regarding the neighborhood, he wrote "I think that most people don't know about the rich history of the neighborhood, or that there is a wave of people moving here to restore these amazing houses and those people are bonding and becoming friends and sharing tips and learning about the history of the area and looking out for one another, and encouraging one another, etc. "  The sentiment in that sentence alone almost completely sums up why I am so proud to be a part of this neighborhood and to be a neighbor to the people I have come to know here.

1 comment:

Johnny Northside said...

Keep up the good work! I linked to you from my blog, The Adventures of Johnny Northside.

http://adventuresofjohnnynorthside.blogspot.com/2008/10/little-neighborhood-that-could.html

You need paragraph breaks. You need photos. But you've got a promising blog going, so pour it on!!!!